Saturday, October 9, 2010

SETTLING IN

I got to spend many hours with my Dad and Mom last night.

Grandpa and Grandma are settling in just fine and the door is wide open for visitors.

Even when I arrived Ken and Kathy Gates were there visiting and Mike McBride had already come by, much to Grandpa's happy surprise.

Dixie got them unpacked and organized including labels on all their drawers so they can easily find everything, along with hanging a few of their favorite pictures on the walls. Jimae, Bruce and Alex brought a recliner, and Dad and I have our first project planned for next week putting together a small book cases for them. We got all the t's crossed and i's dotted on their intake forms just moments before hospice showed up with more forms to sign. "Georgee" the hospice nurse quickly bonded with Grandma and Grandpa.

And imagine this! Grandpa and Grandma are in room 225 and guess who is right next door in room 223? Eloise Ellis, the owner and loaner of Grandma's wedding dress. Dick Ellis was army buddies with Grandpa, and today while Grandpa was in therapy, Dick took Eloise and Grandma to "lunch". Dick comes each day to visit and feed his wife Eloise so from now on there will be many lunches and dinners "for 4!" and Grandpa will have a dear old friend to visit and joke around with. (I like Dick better now that he isn't giving me a shot while sitting in his dentist chair.) Last evening Dick was telling Grandma that next time Grandpa was in physical therapy that Dick would take Eloise and Grandma out and "drag State Street". Grandma smiled at him and responded with a nod. I pulled Grandpa and Grandma's wedding picture off the wall and showed Eloise her own wedding dress that she had loaned to Grandma all those many years ago.

Grandma was very alert listening to our visiting the 5 hours I was there. She would even give me "that look" when I would tease her and she would smile for the picture.



Grandpa too seemed happy and relaxed. He told me that the care center is taking great care of them and as he patted his heart, said that right when he entered the doors the first time and started down the long hallway-- he felt peace in his heart.


I'm grateful for the coming days, weeks, and months where I can share many treasured times with Grandpa and Grandma. Come and join us!

I love you Mom and Dad.
Pam

2 comments:

  1. What an answer to prayers! We have been praying that y'all could find a nice place for them to feel comfortable to settle down and be taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, after re-reading this, it warms my heart so much that they are next to old friends from their youth. I hope that this small world puts me in the same care center with my best buddies when I am in the twilight of my life!

    ReplyDelete